In my book Something Wicked, I spend a lot of time talking about negative entities such as demons and other creatures that creep into our world and are capable of making our lives a living hell.
These creatures thrive on chaos and fear, and we as humans have no problem supplying them with what they need. With the condition of society in many places today, negative entities have an unlimited supply of energy to not only survive, but thrive and prey upon the living. So the question then becomes: what can we do to protect ourselves against these entities that are hell-bound to cause the ruin of humankind?
There are many different ways people choose to protect themselves, and depending on your individual beliefs, some will work and some won't. The main thing is that no matter what you do, if you don't believe 100% in what you're doing to protect yourself, it won't work. Below are a few ideas you can use in your life to help protect yourself from evil entities that may choose to try to enter your life.
- Prayers of Protection
One of my favorite prayers is known as the, "Prayer for Protection;" it is known the world over and was written by James Dillet Freeman. It goes like this:
The light of God surrounds us;
Another popular prayer is the Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel and goes like this:
The love of God enfolds us;
The presence of God watches over us;
Wherever we are, God is!
Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
- Protective Amulets
Throughout history, peoples of different societies, cultures, and religions have used protective or sacred amulets to help protect and ward off evil spirits. This practice is still used today in much of the world. Some of the most common amulets include:
Some of my preferred amulets are also listed below.
- Cross or crucifix
- St. Benedict Medal
- Medicine Bag
My medicine bag contains items that were commonly used by the Native American tribes that lived in my area. It includes: sage, sweet grass, sea salt, rose petals, and my favorite moon crystal.
You can make your own medicine bag with any items that you believe keep you safe from negative entities. Be sure to include some herbs, sea salt, your favorite crystal, and anything else that makes you feel protected. You can put these items in a handmade pouch with a draw string, or in something as simple as a Zip Lock bag. Keep it with you in your pocket or handbag.
There are many crystals that can offer protection to whoever wears them; which crystal you choose is up to you. When picking out a crystal, I generally run my hand about an inch over the many crystals and choose the one that appears to almost "leap" into my hand. This tells me that that crystal was made just for me.
- Crystals such as amber can help protect against evil spirits and accidental injuries.
- Garnet placed under your pillow when you sleep can help protect against nightmares and negative entities.
- Onyx is believed to be able to dispel negative energy and avert danger.
- It is also believed that a topaz bracelet worn on the left wrist will help keep evil entities away from you.
- Other Taslimans
One of my very favorite talismans is an Eye of Horus charm I wear on a bracelet on my left wrist. The Eye of Horus is a very ancient symbol and is used in some types of witchcraft to grant wisdom, prosperity, good health, and spiritual protection.
Some other talismans you can wear for protection include:
- Pyramid: Wear or carry a pyramid-shaped object to increase energy and attract good luck. A pyramid-shaped object under your bed is believed to ward off evil spirits and protect against bad dreams.
- Scarab: Often thought of as a symbol of renewal, a scarab can be used for good luck and to keep evil forces away from you.
- Scorpion: One of my personal favorites; I have a scorpion encased in an amber stone that I wear as a necklace. The scorpion is believed to repel against negative spirits and forces and protect you against enemies.
- Unicorn: Who doesn't love a unicorn? They are the symbol of chastity and protection and are believed to keep anyone who wears a unicorn amulet safe from evil forces—both living and non-living.
Personally I burn incense or essential oils all the time when I'm home. Not only do they smell amazing, but some incense is believed to be able to keep negative entities and negative energies at bay. I personally use:
- Dragon's Blood: This scent is used to get rid of negativity and exorcise negative and evil entities. In addition, it can be used for protection.
- Frankincense: This has been used for centuries to get rid of negativity and purify sacred spaces. It's also used to protect against evil, aid meditation, and can be used in exorcisms.
- Myrrh: Myrrh is most often burned with frankincense for protection, purification, healing, exorcism, and banishing evil.
- Sage: A very traditional incense used to protect against all forms of evil. It can also be used to purify a space, and promotes wisdom; clarity; and the healing of your mind, body, and soul.
- Sandalwood: Generally used to exorcise demons and other types of negative entities and promote spiritual awareness. It can be used as a form of protection and cleansing as well.
As you can tell, there are many things that can be used to protect yourself from evil forces. It's up to you to do a little experimentation and find the ones that are most beneficial to you and your individual situation. As I previously stated, nothing will protect you unless you believe it to be true. So play around with these ideas, have some fun, and most of all, stay safe out there.